Do I Need a Buyer’s Agent?

The Washington Post had a great article about how to figure out who represents you in a real estate transaction.

The article appropriately warns of the danger of dual agency: This arrangement may also be called “dual representation.” Both buyer and seller are represented by the same agent. Both parties must sign a form, prepared under the auspices of the local real estate commission. The form requires informed consent. For example, in the District of Columbia, sellers and buyers are put on notice that “when the parties agree to dual representation, the ability of the licensee [the agent] and the brokerage firm to represent either party fully and exclusively is limited.” Maryland law does not allow such dual representation.

I have made it a personal business practice NOT to engage in dual agency.  I will not represent both a buyer and seller in the same transaction.  It quite clearly is a conflict of interest in my mind.

If you’re interested in learning more about the way I work with clients, contact me for a no obligation meeting.

Read more: Why I May Not Be Able to Represent You

Read more: Why is the Buyer’s Agent Called the Selling Agent?  Buyer Agency Explained

Read more: How do I start my home search?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *