• Charming Ashton Heights Colonial in Arlington with traditional hardwood floors, curved archways, glass door knob hardware and recessed lighting throughout.
• Inviting living room with brick wood burning Rumsford fireplace.
• Main level den with built-in shelving, window seat, cabinet drawers and dual skylights.
• Separate dining room opens to gourmet kitchen with maple cabinets, ceramic cooktop and stainless steel appliances including a Kitchen Aide convection oven.
• Upper level features Master bed room with hardwood floors, ceiling fan and multiple windows allowing natural sunlight.
• Second bedroom with double closets and hardwood floors.
• Full hall bath complete with beautiful marble floor, counter top, subway tile and chrome fixtures.
• Lower level fully finished family room with newer wall to wall neutral carpet and recessed lighting.
• Third bedroom has dual closets with plenty of storage.
• Full bathroom with granite counter top vanity and ceramic tiled shower.
• Additional features include energy efficient water heater and front loading washing machine, Anderson high efficient replacement windows throughout, front-loading attached one-car garage.
• Gorgeous 5,650 square feet garden lot featuring professional landscaping and a private fully-fenced backyard with wood sundeck and mature trees.
• Around the corner from Ballston/Clarendon/Virginia Square Metro orange line corridor, ART transit, Metrobus stops, bike paths, trails, and neighborhood parks.
• Only 4 ½ miles to Washington DC!
Home in Ashton Heights sell for $500-$1.5M Depending on the size, location and upgrades in the home. This house is listed for $759,999. We worked with the seller to complete minor updates to the home, and recommended that they have it professionally staged. We had over 14 buyer showings scheduled in less than two days on the market.
Contact us for more information or to set up a showing!
The New Year is off to a quick start in the real estate world. Is buying or selling a home one of your New Year’s resolutions? It’s time to get started! December median home prices in our area were the highest on record, up 4% from last year, but relatively stable since November, up only .08%. Inventories are typically low in the winter months, which is compounding the already very low inventory trend we are seeing in this area. Inventories are still 15% above the all time low in 2012, but below the 5 and 10 year averages.
Buyers are still quite active. We have several clients right now waiting for inventory to hit the market in the next few months to make a move. Buyers and sellers alike may be feeling the pressure to move while interest rates have, perhaps temporarily, leveled off since the increase that began in late October.
I know we have been saying this for months now, but it’s a great time to sell! If you are able to be flexible with your move plans, don’t wait until spring- talk to us about getting ready to go on the market now. Sellers, our experience shows that February is a great time to list – often resulting in multiple offers!
Buyers, get ready for the spring pop in inventory by educating yourself about the home buying process, and getting pre-approved with a lender. We are hosting our popular First Time Home Buyer Class next month, details below and work with some fantastic lenders, so ask us for recommendations based on your goals and circumstances.
We need reviews! If you’re a past client, don’t forget to leave us a review to be entered into a drawing for two free Caps tickets (they’re doing great, by the way)!
We ratified a contract on this beautiful home this week! This home is located in Highview Park, which has an ideal North Arlington location, and is assigned to highly ranked schools, but is still listed under $900K. Other details about this house:
• Totally renovated, 5 Bedroom, 3.5 bath Single Family home in North Arlington with more than 2,700 sq. ft. of living space.
• Two-story foyer and separate living room, office, dining room and family room on the main level.
• Beautiful Bamboo floors and recessed lighting throughout the home and 9 foot ceilings on the main and upper levels.
• Gourmet Kitchen with a center island, granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, ceramic tile floor and gas cooking range.
• Master bedroom has a walk-in closet and luxury en suite full bath with separate whirlpool soaking tub and shower, double vanity and ceramic tile.
• Upper level has two additional spacious bedrooms and a full bath with ceramic tile.
• Walk-out basement complete with a huge rec room, two bedrooms, full bath and separate laundry/utility room.
• Slate front walkway, private driveway with off-street parking and fully fenced yard with shed.
• Ideally located near Arlington area restaurants, shopping and entertainment with easy commute to Rt. 29, Rt. 50, I-66 and I-395.
Other homes in the immediate area range from $760K-$1.27M, ranging on the size, updates and location. We listed this property for $849K, since it was completely rebuilt and renovated in 2012.
If you’d like more information about your home’s value or the market in your neighborhood, email Katie@wethmangroup.com for more information!
Despite increasing interest rates, November closed home sales reached the highest November level since 2009, up 16.5% over last year and reached the highest median price since 2005. Inventories saw a double-digit decline for the fifth month in a row, to just slightly below the 5 year average, but well below the 10 year average, and 14% lower than this time last year. This shows buyers are still out and active, but have less to choose from. It’s a great time to sell! We expect this low inventory trend to continue through the winter months.
Interest rates have been creeping up steadily since the election, from 3.47% in late October to 4.16% this week. The long-predicted benchmark rate increase by the Federal Reserve was confirmed on Wednesday, December 14th, but has not yet affected home loan rates, which are more closely tied to long-term Treasury bonds. Last year following the only other bump in the benchmark rate in the last 10 years, we saw home loan interest rates drop after an initial increase. However, as Sean Becketti, Freddie Mac chief economist noted to the Washington Post, the uncertainty following the election makes the future hard to predict. “The consensus of the committee points to more rate hikes in 2017. However, the experience of this year combined with the policy uncertainty that accompanies a new Administration suggests a wait-and-see outlook… If rates continue their upward trend, expect mortgage activity to be significantly subdued in 2017.” We don’t have a crystal ball, but our bet aligns with a few experts that interest rates will continue to climb, but the ascent will remain slow and steady for the near future. If you’ve been considering buying in the next few years, please contact us so we can help think through the best strategy and timing for your needs.
Client Appreciation Event: Breakfast Movie Party with Santa
It was so wonderful to see all the clients and their little ones who joined us for Breakfast with Santa and Disney’s Moana. This is quickly becoming our favorite new holiday tradition.
As always, if you or someone you know has a real estate need, we’re here to help. Wishing you all happy holidays and a bright start to the new year!
Thankful for all our wonderful clients who joined us for “Breakfast With Santa” this past weekend! We had a wonderful time, and it was great spending the morning with everyone. More pictures to follow!
Who says the fall market is slow? We received and offer even before going on the market!
Gorgeous 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home in Arlington Heights. Inviting living room with fireplace, large dining room and updated kitchen with new tile floors, refreshed cabinets and granite counter tops. Spacious master bedroom with attached half bathroom. Two other bedrooms with hardwood floors, and full bath with shower/tub combo. Bonus rec room in basement with space that sellers are using as a 4th bedroom. Screened in porch, slate patio with fully fenced yard with garage and driveway.
The house was painted, carpet was replaced, tile was installed and other small repairs were completed in preparation to go on the market.
Homes in this neighborhood have sold for $600K-$1.1M+ depending on size, updates and location. This home was abut 2000 sq feet, but had fantastic curb appeal and a large flat back yard. We sold this home for $805K.
Contact us if you have questions about the best updates for your home, and how to maximize your sales price.
The election over and everyone around the world is asking “Now what happens?” That’s too big a question for purposes of this little real estate newsletter but here’s what we know so far as it relates to real estate. The markets are still digesting their ‘best guesses’, but so far the 10 year bond market has spiked, and most mortgage pricing is tied to that (not the 30 year, as some might assume). This means higher interest rates for now. It is too soon to tell if it’s the start of a trend, or a blip. We’ve known for some time that rates couldn’t stay that low forever though, so my money is on ‘trend.’
Higher rates are likely to slow the growth in home prices, but that’s a double edged sword. Prices down + interest rates up = still unaffordable for buyers in our area. Plus, sellers will be less willing to sell ‘at a loss’ meaning inventory could well go down. SMR Research Corp, a mortgage research firm, estimates that rising rates will contribute to a decline in price for 1/3 of US homes by the end of 2017.
Most experts expect a rolling back of financial regulations put in place after the last housing crash, which will be a welcome change to Wall Street. New regulations made lenders very risk averse, so this could open up looser borrowing qualifications-good for some buyers, but not without long term risk to the market.
The big wildcards still out there are GDP growth, inflation, job growth, and consumer confidence. We’ll be keeping an eye on those.
Obviously these are uncertain times, and the market could shift quickly. If you’re thinking of buying or selling in the next two years, please contact us so we can help think through the best strategy and timing for your needs.
We loved having the chance to connect with clients and friends just before the holiday for our annual pie day. Thanks to those who stopped by!
If you weren’t able to make it you have another chance to get together for our Movie Party in December.
Client Appreciation Event: Breakfast Movie Party with Santa
December 3rd, at 10 AM we are hosting a Breakfast Movie Party with Santa at the Tysons AMC Theaters. Join us for breakfast, prizes, and a screening of Disney’s Moana.
As always, if you or someone you know has a real estate need, we’re always here to help.
The record streak continued last month with the most closed sales in a decade in September. Median prices dipped 5% from the August high last month, and came in just in line with the median of September 2015. New listings saw a 23% increase over August, which we are feeling in our own office. If you are looking to buy, this is the time to get out there before sellers decide to stay put until spring. While new listings were up month-over-month, active inventory is actually down 14% from this time last year, which means a lot of those new listings are being absorbed quickly. Inventory overall remains low, even compared with last year, but is near the 5 year average for this area. In short, the market remains steady and active.
Still debating about continuing to rent or buy? Trulia just declared buying in the DC area works is 36% cheaper than renting! Of course this determination depends on your circumstance (including how long you plan to keep the place- Trulia is assuming 7 years, though break even in our area is around 4), so run your numbers on a rent versus buy calculator to get a sense of whether buying will save you money. Or give us a call to talk through the way we would think about it in your situation.
Two Upcoming Client Appreciation Events
To show our appreciation to our clients for your business and referring your friends and family, we are hosting two upcoming events. We’d love to see you!
As an expression of our thanks for YOU at Thanksgiving, come by and pick up a pie (your choice of apple or pumpkin) on us.
Monday, November 21, from 12pm-5pm at our McLean Office
6820 Elm St, McLean, VA 22101
Tuesday, November 22, from 2pm-8pm at Katie’s House